One month old. My baby is a whole month old. Time has flown by and time has stood still. It feels as though Henry has always been a part of our family and I love that it feels that way.
Parenting a newborn this time around has been so different. I don't know if Henry just seems easier than Emerson was as a newborn or if it just is easier because I am more confident in what I am doing...probably a little a both, but this time it just seems easier.
We had a few challenges with feeding for the first two weeks, but other than that the biggest challenge has just been learning to balance two children and the attention they need individually. I am feeling more and more confident each day we are on our own and we are all getting into some sort of normal routine.
Here is a breakdown of his fist month of life:
Sleeping: Henry is a typical newborn sleeper. The first two weeks he was a very sleepy baby and would sleep anywhere at anytime, waking for only short periods of time to eat. By week three he started to be a little more alert and a small pattern on sleep seems to have developed. He tends to wake consistently around 7 a.m., and is most awake in the morning. He will stay awake for several hours and then sleeps for longer periods of time in the late morning to late afternoon. Then he is more alert again in the evening, just before bedtime. I haven't figured out any pattern to naps yet. I just know when he is more likely to be alert and when he is more likely to be sleepy. Age will help fix that, so I am not enforcing any strict schedule. Bedtime is anywhere from 8-9 p.m. He wakes around 12 a.m., 3 a.m., 5:30 a.m. and then is up for the day around 7 a.m.
Eating: We struggled the first two weeks with feeding. He was a good eater and latcher, he was just so sleepy! Every time it was time to eat, he would go right back to sleep. It was stressful trying to manage Henry's eating needs while managing Emerson's needs as well, but we pushed through it and now Henry does great and is gaining weight just fine. He eats about every 2.5-3 hours. At night he seems to like to cluster feed just before bedtime. He usually wakes up three times in the middle of the night to eat.
Activity: Henry gets a lot of activity just by getting to do whatever Emerson and I are doing (reading books, singing songs, playing on the floor, going to the park, etc.). So he get's to do a lot of observing : ) He also get's held a lot or is worn in the pouch. We need to work more on tummy time! He can turn his head side-to-side, but he prefers to be held upright, so he is not a big fan of being on his belly.
Doctor Visit Stats:
- weight: 8 lbs 8 oz at two week check-up
- height: 21 1/4 inches
Likes, Dislikes and Other Milestones:
- Dislikes a wet diaper and getting his diaper changed. You just can't win.
- Not the biggest fan of my singing : ( He will learn to love it though.
- Likes listening as we read books to big brother.
- Likes being pushed (a little to aggressively) in the swing or rocker by Emerson.
- Likes sleeping in the rock n' play.
- Likes being worn in the pouch and being held upright, instead of laying down.
- Starting out liking his swing, but has slowly developed a distaste for it.
- Takes a pacifier unless he is really hungry. He knows it's not the real deal.
- Car rides don't seem to have a soothing effect on him.
- Likes looking up at lights.
- Has dark hair and eyes. We are not sure yet if his eyes will turn brown, but for now the are a dark blue.
- He is one ball of gas! Does not like it when he has the hiccups or is gassy (which is often).
- Slowly growing out of newborn clothes and into a few 0-3 month outfits.
- In size 1 diapers.
- Celebrating daddy's 29th birthday and first Valentines Day.
...and big brother jumping in and out of every shot : )
I love my boys.