Weaning off the pacifier took two different attempts. The first was right around when Henry was born. What were we thinking? The second was just a few weeks ago. I tried a new trick that worked. We told him his paci was dirty and that he needed to throw it away. He was hesitant, but he took his paci to the trash can, threw it away and said "yucky." Over the next few days at nap/bed time he would ask for it and I would just have to remind him that it was yucky and he threw it away. He seemed satisfied with that answer and never cried for it. Parenting win!
Being a big brother has had its ups and downs for Emerson. He loves his brother, but doesn't quite understand boundaries. His idea of "hugging" Henry is going and sitting on him while saying "aw." We are working on being gentle. I am sure once Henry can hold his own they will be best buds.
18 months old: Swinging is his favorite activity at the park.
As a parent, I can honestly say these past six months have been the most challenging. Along with a growing little boy comes a growing personality...and tantrums. The "terrible twos" definitely hit our house a bit early. Only a few more years and he'll grow out of it, right?
Aside from the challenges, there have been so many exciting things. I love watching his imagination grow. Seeing the world through a child's eyes is just about the best thing ever. His vocabulary has exploded and it has made talking to him quite fun. Overall, just watching him learn has been so fulfilling.
19 months old: Our little train engineer.
Here is a brief breakdown:
Sleeping: Still a great little sleeper and usually sleeps a good 11-12 hours at night. If he wakes, he quickly gets himself back to sleep. Naps have been much more predictable. He is down to one nap only. Goes down around 1 p.m. and will sleep anywhere from 1.5-3 hours. The days he takes a three hour nap is pure bliss for me : ) When baby brother arrived we hit a few snags in the sleep schedule, but he has adjusted and we are back to a normal routine.
20 months old: Good times with Santa.
23 months old: Nothing better than a sweat shirt and no pants.
Likes, dislikes and other milestones:
- Celebrated second Halloween, dressed as a train engineer
- Still hates diaper changes...potty training will be nice once its all said and done
- Likes to watch cartoons now. Paw Patrol, Bubble Guppies are two favorites
- Won't say "I love you," but will say "I'm proud of you"
- Working on learning his colors
- Loves Play-Doh and coloring
- Discovered he can walk on tip toes
- Whining! Of this boy has discovered he can use his voice to whine...just like his daddy : ) Must be a guy thing
- Wears size 5 diaper still
- Wearing 2 T clothes
- Does not like to brush his teeth unless he does it himself
- Favorite animal is a cat
- Has memorized lots of words out of books and songs
- Can sing Twinkle, Twinkle, ABCs, and several rap songs (thanks to Jesse)
- Likes to build towers with blocks...and then knock them down
- Fascinated with any kind of truck (fire trucks, construction trucks, etc.)
- Is very bothered when he gets dirt on his hands or sees it on the floor..sigh
- Likes to clean-up when I sing the clean-up song. I hope this phase never ends
- Loves to have his "piggies" (aka toes) tickled
- Gives great big hugs and kisses
- Hates the nursery at church, but likes going to big kid Bible class. He does so well with older kids
- Working on his manners. He can say "please, momma," "thank you," and "yes, sir" ...most of the time anyway :)
- Had first Easter egg hunt and did great
24 months old: Emerson loves giving high-fives!
Oh what joy and gray hairs Emerson brings to our lives : ) I wouldn't trade him for anything and I look forward to all the fun things in the year ahead.
Love my baby (mean big) boy!